Re: STEEL: Q - What is the proper procedure for submitting/approving an alternate design?

Since the design is different than the contract drawings the fabricator
must provide you with the calculations and sealed drawing for approval
to your satisfaction otherwise he should work with design you have
issued. I handle such requests on a regular bases.

>>> bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc 11/16/2004 8:39:05 AM >>>
Hello, all.

I have a job where the contractor is submitting though his
fabricator/detailer an alternate design to that which I submitted for
permit.

In general, I have no problem with this, as long as it meets the design

requirements. In fact, I sort of enjoy the opportunity to "learn" from
fabricator and erector. More'n one way to skin a cat, as we say in
these
parts.

However, when the submittal arrived, it was in the form of ONLY shop
drawings, no calculations, not even an engineer's seal or "disclaimer"

attached. Since I'm the EOR, I guess that much is a "gray area," but my

response to them was "guys, I don't have anything to approve. Please
send me calculations, etc., so that I can review it for conformance to

the design requirements."

Their response has been puzzlement. I think that THEY think "h*ll,
you're an engineer, you oughta know if it's okay or not!" It's almost
as
if they're pulling something out of their design standards and then
asking me to verify the design adequacy. Since they're not my client,
and since my client has already paid me ONCE for the steel design, I
don't see why I should oblige them.

What I need to know is, what is the proper procedure here? I have
lookeed through the AISC Code of Standard Practice, but I cannot find
anything that covers this. I have also looked on AISC's website to no
avail. I would contact their support hotline, but I'm not a member of
AISC and I figure I could better get a cross-section of real-world
opinions here.

Thanks.