RE: STEEL: Q - What is the proper procedure for submitting/approv ing an alternate design?

Bill,

As the EOR, you will be liable for the design of the structure regardless of whether you review it or not.

If your client has encouraged production of alternate design, he ought to pay you for your services connected with it. If he does not want to, simply return the fabricator's submittal with "Not approved. Follow original design".

Typically, I do receive calculations with the fabricator's submittals. And those drawings and calculations are sealed and stamped by a PE regisered in the state where the structure will be erected.

Rajendran

Jen Wadsworth <JWadsworth(--nospam--at)TricoEngineering.com> wrote:
"Since they're not my client, and since my client has already paid me ONCE
for the steel design, I don't see why I should oblige them."

that's your answer right there. Why do we continue to do work that we're
not paid for? You aren't getting paid to calculate a new design. If they
want you to accept something different than what you specified then they
need to provide you with a design, including calcs, for you to review. If
not, they need another engineer's seal. Why you should assume liability for
a design that you didn't do?

A totally separate issue is the fact that the shop dwgs don't have a seal.
We never accept shop dwgs without an engineer's seal. We specify this
requirement in our general notes, but it's a standard that's widely
accepted.

Jen