RE: STEEL: Q - What is the proper procedure for submitting/approv ing an alternate design?

I assume that the contract documents did not address permission to submit an
alternate design. In such cases, I would require submittal of PE sealed
design drawings and sealed calculations, which I would review for
conformance to project requirements and codes. Alternately, the Contractor
could pay you to perform the design and would need to make any modifications
that you require.

In lieu of calculations, some would argue that you only need PE sealed
drawings - and that probably would meet legal requirements. But I would
argue that the Owner hired you to ensure that a code and project compliant
structure is provided - I would consider structural review of an alternate
design to meet that intent, although that also may be considered extra scope
of work for you. Of course, if the client wants to accept a design sealed by
another PE, that is their prerogative.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO