Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:33 AM
Subject: Re: Structural Nut Grades

It's not unusual to want a softer nut than bolt.  This reduces galling and allows the nut threads to yield, providing a larger area of contact along the plane of the threads.  One of the key issues is whether the shear area of the nut will develop the tension capacity of the bolt (or the desired tension capacity of the joint, or the preload required to set the fastener if the bolt acts in shear). Remember that you get the major diameter of the nut vs the minor diameter of the bolt.

In addition to the other references, I find Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers a useful reference. It has all of the common sizes and grades tabulated, along with commentary on the uses and pitfalls of some of the fastener types. And that's just in one of the twenty or thirty chapters.

Jordan