Re: STEEL: Q - What is the proper procedure for submitting/approving an alternate design?

Bill,
  My response would be to tell them to hire an engineer
to verify that their design is adequate, or arrange
with the Owner (who should be offered some benefit from
this delay and their assumed savings) to ensure that he
is reimbursed for your additional fees to review their
proposal.  This way you are not in a conflict of
interest by being paid by the fabricator.
  There is always the possibility that your design was
impractible or uneconomic, and they saw that.  If they
prove that, you may end up with a red face and the Owner
wanting his money back---this has happened.
  I recommend an associate membership in the AISC-I have
one in the CISC and it is well worth it for being able
to talk to the staff there and for the mat'l that is
available, that is, if the AISC works the same.
Gary
way