AWS D1.1 Help

When welding a round shape (like a rod) to a plate, what is the effective
throat thickness? For some reason, E=(5/16)R sticks in my mind, but so do
all the songs off of Led Zeppelin's first album so I often question the
validity of my memory. Also, a reference to section would be appreciated.
No, I don't have a copy. I'm not lazy. Just cheap.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509