Re: Masonry reinforcement lap length in IBC 2003

Fraid so...
IBC governs.  I guess there was a grad student
somewhere (I recently read, but can't remember
where..) that did various testing of lap splices in
masonry.  Essentially, the equation in IBC gives
results consistent with the testing.  I'm sure there
will be someone to give/cite specific info regarding
the background.
David Topete, PE
SF, CA