RE: Masonry reinforcement lap length in IBC 2003

Until the Code requirements change, we have decided to use only #4's and #5's, even if we have closer spacings.

Jim K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherman, William [mailto:ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Masonry reinforcement lap length in IBC 2003

I got alot of grief from a contractor for specifying such splice lengths for
#6 bars on a recent project - it makes the mason's work very difficult. I
was told by NCMA that the splice requirements are based on testing done in
their laboratory - further testing is being done to see if these stringent
requirements can be relaxed. As noted below, when bars are used with minimum
cover, splice lengths become very long, especially for #6 bars.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311