Re: Development length in Shotcrete

In a message dated 11/17/2004 5:42:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, johnny.armijo(--nospam--at)navy.mil writes:
See Paragraph 5.4, Reinforcement, Guide to Shotcrete, ACI 506R-90
(Reapproved 1995). "As a structural material, reinforcement in shotcrete
is designed using the same criteria as in reinforced concrete."
I had read that - it is also covered in the FAQ section on the American Shotcrete Association's web site.  I was just curious as to whether there was some other documentation out there I was missing.    I was also curious as to whether you consider a top bar affect,  not that it really makes a difference whether your laps are 3 inches longer.

I would say however that no one else has really spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Gail Kelley

The Q & A from ASA:

Question 38: We are shotcreting our first wall and the contractor tells us that in shotcrete, the lapping of the bars is not done by putting the bars alongside each other as in conventional pouring of concrete but rather a gap is left between the bars in order to avoid voids behind bars bundles. A two-inch gap is being used on our job. Is there a publication that deals with reinforcing steel placement in shotcrete in general and one that deals with bar laps in particular?

Answer: The ACI 506R-90 Guide to Shotcrete, Section 5.4.2 is the publication you are looking for. Amongst other things it states: "If the design allows, lapping of the reinforcing splices should be avoided. Lapped bars should be spaced apart at least three times the diameter of the largest bar at the splice". If laps are not permitted by the design, then it is best to lap the bars one on top of the other (relative to the shooting orientation), rather than side-by-side, to facilitates proper encapsulation with shotcrete.  (back to top)