RE: List Suggestion (OT)

I think that the privacy issue is salient for ANY webmail which you do not personally run. As far as I can tell, gmail's advertising appears to be similar to the paid text ads you get when you do a google search (the right hand sidebar). The ads are relevant to the text of your email. The discussion I had with Ray produced a sidebar with links to anti-spam products/sites.

I personally don't trust Microsoft or Yahoo at all to abide by their privacy policies, or at least not to change them mid-stream if it suits their purpose or wallet. I don't use google for my main email either. My "real" email is done on domains which I own (truesdell dot org and truesdellengineering dot com). I do have a webmail interface which, if I knew linux, I could change to just about any package I wanted, though squirrelmail works fine in a pinch. Owning the domain(s) means that I can make up a new email address for every vendor, so I know who's selling or giving out my information (note my seaint address, for example). I spend a whopping $10 a month for 6 domains, and could have as many as 20 domains on my account. I get unlimited email addresses and a decent amount of email, web, and ftp space shared over all my domains served from a stable, well connected server farm in Atlanta, GA.

It boils down to "you get what you pay for," whether you pay with dollars or eyeballs or data-production.

Actually, I like the gmail interface better than Eudora. As much as it would simplify my computing life, I don't use Outlook - too many script kiddies use it as a playground.