Re: List Suggestion (OT)

Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

I think that the privacy issue is salient for ANY webmail which you do not personally run.

As somone who has been "running" his own email server for six years now, I can assure you that whatever type of email client you have--and I can actually access my email using a browser, because the Linux server has Squirrelmail on it, but I don't mess with it--you have a "privacy issue."

I have "spam traps" set up, old email addresses under my domain that I may have created for some special purpose or other. It's amazing how, even though these addresses in almost every case used for only a short while (say, to subscribe to an email list), and not for a long time, I get a continual stream of spam sent to them.

Spamassassin takes care of 99.9% of it, so that I don't see it (maybe one or two PER MONTH of genuine canned ham will run the traps and make it all the way to my inbox), but the point is that it is nigh unto impossible to keep your email address "private."

Once it's aout there in any public place, someone will snag it, and it will be sold to spammers a multitude of times.

The best thing to do is (1) use filtering and blocking schemes for now, and (2) hope that one of the many "sender verification" schemes that are being proposed becomes standardized and our email boxes go back to quietly doing what they were intended to do in the first place (read "SEAINT").

Bill Polhemus, P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas USA