Re: List Suggestion (OT)

Bill:

I think we are talking two different things.  What I was talking about
(and I believe Jordan was too) is someone reading the content of your
email messages.  You seem to be talking about SPAMMERs getting your email
address and invading your "privacy" by sending unwanted emails.

As to the point that you raise, it is very true.  At some point, you will
more than likely get SPAM...no matter how careful you are.  The easiest
way to get SPAMMED is to give the address to a website (i.e. registration
for "free" websites...NOTHING is free...you just pay for it by getting
SPAM) or join a email list or Usenet group.  But, even if you don't do
that and protect your email address religiously, if the email address is
relatively straight forward (i.e. first initial plus last name and your
last name is fairly common) you will get hit anyway.  Many SPAMMERs just
send out messages to common "IDs" at every domain name that they can think
of or know of.  For example, they will just sent out SPAM to all the
"smaxwell@_._" (fill in the blanks with any domain name that you can think
of)...and so, my one more "private" email address that I use for business
and family/friends still gets about 5 to 10 SPAM messages a month.  The
best way to avoid SPAM is to create a VERY random email address (i.e.
fs8i$agaf4h6ghd(--nospam--at)whatever.com") and only give it to certain people (i.e.
NEVER give it to a company that you buy from, an organization that you
belong to, or to a website...and DON'T use it for posting to an email list
<grin>).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI