Re: ACI 318-02 Appendix D

To answer your question:  This 12d recommendation appears in AISC LRFD 2nd
Edition Volume II.   On page 8-90 there is a table that lists the minimum
embedment of 12d for A307 or A36 type bolts.   This recommendation is based
on a paper in AISC Engineering Journal by Shipp and Haninger.  (1983, 4th
qtr, pg 58-69)   Actually, less than 12d normally develops the bolt to
yield, but the 12d recommendation ensures steel failure vs concrete
failure.

However, the above guideline does not account for small edge distances
and/or small bolt spacing.  The posting from Matt is the info you need for
you condition.

Ed Haninger
Fluor
Aliso Viejo

"......I remember reading somewhere that 12*AB diameter embedment in 3000
psi concrete provides strength = anchor bolt yield.  Of course, this is for
the case where the anchor bolt is not near an edge of concrete.  I think
this was in an AISC publication? can anybody help me find this?....."

                      "Bruce Holcomb"
                      <bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com      To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                      11/19/2004 02:51 PM      cc:
                      Please respond to
                      seaint                   Subject:  ACI 318-02 Appendix D

                                                                                                                                     .

I have been asked to verify an anchor bolt design based on IBC 2003 which
has either the ASD table in section 1912 or the strength design approach of
section 1913 which basically just references ACI 318-02 Appendix D.  I
typically design anchor bolts and base plates in accordance with AISC
Design Guides 1 & 7, so I need to get up to speed quickly on Appendix D of
ACI 318-02.

My main question is, how does Appendix D account for the vertical
reinforcing in a concrete pedestal?

Long story short? I have a reinforced concrete pedestal on an individual
column footing for a fixed-base column.  My anchor bolts are 1¼" diameter
by 30" embedment, which puts the nut at the bottom of the anchor bolt below
the bottom of the pedestal and in the footing.  I can draw failure planes
and explain that I am using the tensile strength of the rebar to transfer
the load into the footing, but I am being asked by a plan reviewer to
verify by Appendix D.

I remember reading somewhere that 12*AB diameter embedment in 3000 psi
concrete provides strength = anchor bolt yield.  Of course, this is for the
case where the anchor bolt is not near an edge of concrete.  I think this
was in an AISC publication? can anybody help me find this?

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.

Structural Engineer

Butler, Rosenbury & Partners

300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505

Springfield, MO 65806

ph. 417-865-6100

fax 417-865-6102

www.brpae.com

Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development

Your Vision.  Our Focus.

the views of the company.