Re: American Building Code Imperialism

Actually a lot of countries use codes adopted from
former colonial powers, e.g. Singapore uses British
Standards, The Philipines adopted US codes, etc.  The US
does a lot of research but so do other countries.  The
German DIN's are highly respected and used a lot in
parts of Europe--I am told that Disney will only use
German standards for rides.  The Canadian steel standard
has been used a model for some other country but I am not
sure which.  Our codes and standards on wind and snow
loads were used for the some US documents.  I don't mean
to say that US codes and standards are not good-they are,
but most of these documents arise in part at least from
world-wide research.
Gary