Re: American Building Code Imperialism

It is also a function of where the established "infrastructure" for code
development exists.  Contrary to those that think that producing a code is
a costless system done purely by volunteers (and as such codes should be
free), it costs money to develop codes.  In addition, it takes people
resources and serious EFFORT to setup the process.  And smaller, so-called
"Third World" countries likely tend to find it easier to use codes that
are developed within firmly established systems in other countries/areas
such as the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc.  In other
words, to use an old saying..."why reinvent the wheel?"

And Gary is correct in that a LOT of stuff that ends up in US codes comes
by way of other "established code" development systems such as from
Europe, Canada, or the South Pacific (i.e. Australia/New Zealand).  With
out European development/interest, who know where prestressed concrete
would be in the US.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI