Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Farm Building

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)>

> I am designing a timber framed riding stable.
> It has a 2nd storey loft for storage of hay.  Does
> anyone know what is the recommended design live load
> for hay.  The loft is 11 feet high.
> Gary

Check the Ontario Construction Guide for Farm Buildings 2003 and the
National Farm Building Code 1995.

NFBC requires minumum 5.0 kN/m^2 but the appendix provides:
Roughage (feed and bedding)
  Hay (air dried)
   baled 160 kg/m^3
   chopped 160 kg/m^3
   long 80 kg/m^3
   wafered 325 kg/m^3
   chopped 100-130 kg/m^3
   field baled 130 kg/m^3
   long 60 kg/m^3

NFBC is referenced in OBC cl

I can send you a copy of the table if you need more.

The Ontario Guide is much more substantial than the NFBC and provides a
lot of good information so that a layman could understand when/why they
need an engineer. Or to help them do it right when they avoid the
engineer, anyway, as many farmers will do. Lots of generic details and
analysis approaches. I see a new Ontario Code and Commentary in the

Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)> <>

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********