Re: Farm Building

> From: "Gary Hodgson & Associates" <ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com>

> I am designing a timber framed riding stable.
> It has a 2nd storey loft for storage of hay.  Does
> anyone know what is the recommended design live load
> for hay.  The loft is 11 feet high.
> Gary

Gary
Check the Ontario Construction Guide for Farm Buildings 2003 and the
National Farm Building Code 1995.

NFBC requires minumum 5.0 kN/m^2 but the appendix provides:
Roughage (feed and bedding)
  Hay (air dried)
   baled 160 kg/m^3
   chopped 160 kg/m^3
   long 80 kg/m^3
   wafered 325 kg/m^3
  Straw
   chopped 100-130 kg/m^3
   field baled 130 kg/m^3
   long 60 kg/m^3

NFBC is referenced in OBC cl 2.1.1.5.

I can send you a copy of the table if you need more.

The Ontario Guide is much more substantial than the NFBC and provides a
lot of good information so that a layman could understand when/why they
need an engineer. Or to help them do it right when they avoid the
engineer, anyway, as many farmers will do. Lots of generic details and
analysis approaches. I see a new Ontario Code and Commentary in the
making.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International