Re: Any Recommendation on book on CMU ==>>where are guys from NCMA/PCA??

The book by Schneider and Dickey is excellent and one of our key references. The other Masonry book no design office should be without is the Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook by James Amrhein.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Syed Faiz" <sfaiz(--nospam--at)saudioger.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: Any Recommendation on book on CMU ==>>where are guys from NCMA/PCA??

Gautam:

I am surprised no body responded to your query so far.

At first I thought some one from NCMA/PCA would respond; looks like there are
none on this List from these organizations.

Let me respond then:

I have a book that fits your description in all respect.

The title of the book is: CONCRETE MASONRY HANDBOOK
                    For Architects, Engineers and Builders
                By: Frank A. Randall, Jr. and William C. Panarese
                   Pub: Portland Cement Association (PCA), USA.
                     Ist published: 1976; 4th Ed. (rev) 1980.

I have another book that deals basically with design aspects, however it also has substantial
amount of details, here and there, that you're looking for.

The title of the book pe se is: REINFORCED MASONRY DESIGN
                         By: Robert R. Schneider and Walter L. Dickey
                          Pub: Prentice-Hall, Inc; Englewood Cliffs,
                                  New Jersey 07632; 1980.

Hope this helps. Best regards to all.

Syed Faiz Ahmad; MEngg, MASCE
Senior Structural Engineer
Saudi Oger Ltd
P.O. Box: 1449
Riyadh-11431
Saudi Arabia
Cell: +966-508-169304

P.S: I found the following statement in the preface (of the first title)interesting and thought I must share the same with you guys. The statement per se is: (quote) "Since 1882 when the first concrete block was molded, the concrete masonry industry in the United States and Canada has grown to produce 4 billion 8x8x16-in. equivalent units each year. Laid end to end at the equator, these units would extend 40 times around the world" (unquote)==>>interseting, isn't it? By the way, this statistics was as of 1980; any idea about production quantum as of today?