Re: Codes Online

And just who do you mean by SEA?  This is no such thing as SEA.  There is
NCSEA (which is an organization comprised of various "local" SEAs
[generally representing US state areas, but sometimes smaller than the
entire state]).  There is SEAOC, SEAoT, SEAMi, SEAW...just to name a few.

And for what it is worth, NSCEA _IS_ involved with the code development
process as are some of the state SEAs.  NCSEA has a code advisory
committee that advises/help ICC and NFPA on their model building code
process.  SEAOC's seismology committee has members that are part of the
all the major "material" code/standard committees.

And there are electronic version of codes available right now.  You can
purchase ACI's entire Manual of Concrte Practice on CD-ROM that contains
_EVERY_ current ACI technical document including ACI 318.  The CD-ROM is
searchable.  ASCE has ASCE 7 available in electronic form on a CD-ROM.
AISC's specifications are available (for free) in electronic form on their
website.  I honestly don't know about the masonry code (MSJC) or the NDS.
I believe that you can get the IBC on CD-ROM as well.  You can get
electronic versions of ATSM documents as well (usually for a pretty
price).

So, there are more easily search formats out there.

What you won't get is the codes for free.  Contrary to popular belief, it
costs money to produce those codes.  Even if government entities took over
the effort, it would still not be free.  It might seem free, but we would
still pay for them in the form of fees (i.e. PE license fees, building
permit fees, etc) or taxes.  This stuff does not magically appear out of
thin air.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI