From: L. Pack [mailto:Lloyd(--nospam--at)pecid.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 11:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Codes Online (Non-structural)

On 22 Nov 2004, at 1:27, Scott Maxwell wrote:

> What you won't get is the codes for free.  Contrary to popular belief, it
> costs money to produce those codes.  Even if government entities took over
> the effort, it would still not be free.  It might seem free, but we would
> still pay for them in the form of fees (i.e. PE license fees, building
> permit fees, etc) or taxes.  This stuff does not magically appear out of
> thin air.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott
> Adrian, MI

And from the point of view of a citizen, I would like all laws to which
I am subject to be free for my enlightenment. I should be able to
freely access all laws for which I may be held accountable.   If we
charge people to access the law, then we are essentially
discriminating against those who can not afford the cost to obtain
the law.