From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 4:57 PM
To: bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Am I Just Too Detailed Here?

Welcome to the club!  I don't think you're alone and I don't think there's any real solution to this, except as allowed by market conditions.  You'll learn from your experiences and your future estimates will presumably be closer to the mark.  At the same time there will *always* be pressure to be "good, fast & cheap" when in fact only any 2 of those are possible at any one time, IMHO.  If there's a shortage of engineers in your area who are willing to do such work you'll have better luck getting a reasonable fee.  If there are a lot of "bottom feeders" who are willing to work quick and dirty then it'll be a struggle.  In the end, considering the Big Picture, I believe that people get what they're willing to pay for.  If they want their work done by a moonlighting, barely licensed person they can get it done cheaper.  If they prefer a better job, done by an experienced and competent engineer (such as you and me :), then it will cost a little more.  In my experience clients are all over the range, from those desiring the cheapest, like they search for the best price for a car or a hamburger, to those who recognize that getting more/better costs a little more.  The vast majority are somewhere in the middle--they don't want to throw their money away but they'd still like to get what they see as a proper job.  Unfortunately I don't think people realize that there is a range of competency in engineering, as in any endeavor.  They think all they need is a "stamp" and everything's fine.  We all know better.

To address the question in your subject line:  In wood construction one can hardy get "too detailed."  Details cost money (to design and draw) and thus we have to try to hit the happy medium where we've provided what's needed, but not too much more, because nobody wants to pay for those additional details.

My bottom line is that I try to provide a high-quality, professional service, not cutting corners while still trying to be efficient.  But there are still cases where something requires a lot more work than I anticipated.  Some clients are understanding and some are not.  I sometimes fall into the trap of doing some additional work/details because "it's better for the project/client" when in fact many clients see only the additional cost, not the additional benefit.

HTH

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz
Structural Engineer