Re: Employee vacation schedules

Paul:

>From my experience and my neck of the woods, entry level people get two
weeks (10 days).  This will go up to about 4 to 5 weeks max for people who
are senior or have been with the company a long time.  The progress
varies, but usually my experience has been an additional week ever 5 years
or so (thus, about 3 weeks at 3 to 7 years, about 4 weeks at about 5 to 12
years, and 5 weeks [if it goes that high] at about 10 to 15 years).  This
usually assumes a standard 2 weeks of sick time (at least in the Detroit
area that is standard).

Another way that I have seen companies go it to offer PTO (paid time off)
in one "lump" sum.  This lumps sick time, vacation time and even holiday
time in as on category of paid time off (in other words, you decide
whether you use it as vacation time or sick time).  Under such systems,
you usually get less total time (i.e. entry level would not get a total of
4 weeks of vacation time and sick time as in the "standard" system, but
maybe a little over 3 weeks of total PTO [not counting holidays]), but get
the benefit of having the flexibility of more vacation time if you are not
sick ever or more sick time if you have a bad illness.

And in my experience, dealing with new hires with experience, it becomes a
negotiating point.  If you are not willing to consider granting someone
with say 10+ years of experience some extra vacation time, then depending
on the job market you might have difficulty filling positions for more
experienced engineers.

The other issue to deal with is do you want it to be a "use it or lose it"
system or allow them to roll some of it over to future years.  Keep in
mind that if you do the "use it or lose it" policy and then don't allow
employees to use vacation due to work load and they STILL lose it, then
you are likely creating some unhappy employees.

Now, things can be a little different for non-design firms.  People that
work for government entities or other private organizations in the
"structural field" can get better vacation packages.  This is usually
bcause such entities cannot match the pay of most design firms.  I know
that the federal government vacation program is much better than most
private companies...this is because they cannot match offers from those
private companies in terms of pay.  So, the only way that they can
potentially get some of the "good" applicants it to sweeten the deal in
other ways.

So, in the end, to me, it becomes a matter of what works for you.  From my
perspective, I have learned that pay is not everything.  As a result,
things like vacation time become more important to me when considering a
position.  So, I suggest that you at least keep that in the back of your
mind as I am sure that some potential employees will.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI