"Too Many Judges" [WAS: Am I Just Too Detailed Here?]

Title: Message
Dennis Wish wrote:
-->

Who needs lawyers with so many judges :>)

Where do you think they get the judges?

(Not to mention the legislators, governors, etc.)

N.B. I have always believed FIRMLY that lawyers should be barred from seeking elective office in the legislative or executive branches. It is a simple matter of separation of powers.

One of the reasons we have such a mess today vis a vis the profusion of laws in this nation (at least) is that we have the same people MAKING the laws who later are able to USE the law to "get over" on you and me.

It seems to me that once someone has been accepted as a member of the bar, he or she should forever be forbidden to hold elective office as a legislator or chief executive at any level of government. They would ONLY be allowed to be judges. That's only fair; after all, neither you nor I can be a judge since we are not lawyers. They ought to stick to that side of things--one whole third of the governmental tripod, after all, ought to be enough for anyone--and never, ever be permitted to actually MAKE or EXECUTE laws again!

The ONLY exception would be someone who voluntarily quits the bar to serve as a "real American." They would then be forbidden ever to "go back" to the "dark side." It would be an irrevocable decision.

Seems to me this would clear up a lot of complicated problems.

Fat chance anyone would ever seriously consider it happening. The only way I can see is if a state were to draft a new constitution and The People were to take control of the Constitutional convention from the lawyers, and ram it through. Even a referendum, which many of the states currently allow, wouldn't do any good; the courts would just strike it down as they regularly do the Will of the People.

</POLITICAL SOAPBOX>