Wood supporting steel, masonry, etc.

What are the limits for using wood as the vertical load carrying system?

IBC 2304.10 Heavy timber construction states "(Wood) Columns shall be continuous or superimposed throughout all stories by means of reinforced concrete ...".
But 2304.12 Wood supporting masonry or concrete states "Wood members shall not be used to permanently support the dead load of any masonry or concrete."

The exceptions to 2304.12 do not suggest that reinforced conrete is acceptable.  Which is it?

What about steel construction?  Can vertical wood framing be used to support steel floor/roof framing in commercial applications?  I can't find any similar mention of it in the IBC.

TIA,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! ? What will yours do?