RE: Nail Spacing

The values in the buildings codes are empirical, that is, based on
testing of actual shear walls.  Certainly, if you had nails with 200 ksi
bending, you may want to consider this, however, in my experience on the
West Coast, no such nails are being used.  We tend to have the opposite
problem, nails with much less bending capacity.

Ted Ryan, P.E.
Washington State

>From: utej(--nospam--at)comcast.net
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Nail Spacing

>Are the nail spacing recommendations shown in the 1997 and >2001 NDS
Commentary are based upon Fyb not exceeding 100ksi >or perhaps 130 ksi
(shown in appendix I of the 2001 NDS as an >upper bound for hardened
nails). There are nails out there that >have an Fyb of up to 200 ksi and
if the spacing is the same as >typical nails would not the stress in the
wood increase and >possibly lead to earlier splitting? Are nails with an
Fyb exceeding >100 ksi or 130 ksi beyond the scope of the NDS Commentary
nail >spacing recommendations?