From: utej(--nospam--at)comcast.net
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Nail Spacing

The NDS commentary recommendations are for nail spacing for wood to wood and steel to wood connections, not just for nail spacing for shear walls.

It seems that the nail spacing recommendations would have been based upon damage or splitting of the wood in (1) initial installation and (2) under loading. I'm curious to whether these same guidelines would cover hardened nails with a higher Fyb than listed in the 2001 NDS Appendix I (greater than 130 ksi) as there would be more stress in the wood using hardened nails at the same spacing as typical nails