Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Architectural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In California Civil Engineers and Architects are completely equal - legally. Each can design almost any kind of building and neither can design a public school or public hospital without a registered Structural Engineer. Hi-rise buildings also require a registered Structural Engineer. I have read that the large majority of commercial, industrial and residential buildings in CA are being designed by Civil Engineers who are doing the entire design.
About half of my jobs are commercial, industrial or residential in which I am the principal. If they are large enough I engage an architectural person (some are registered and some are not) to work for me. And I also hire a Geotech Engineer, and a surveyor who is usually a Civil Engineer but sometimes a Land Surveyor only. And I usually hire someone to do the energy calcs.
On a few jobs I do the Civil or the Structural design and on some I do both- for an architect. On one $9 million house I am the storm drain engineer only with other civils doing grading and retaining walls, others doing structural, etc.
As far as I know there is no such thing in CA as an "architectural engineer".
Stan Scholl, P.E.
Civil Engineer
Laguna Beach, CA
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:34:03 -0700 "Jake Watson" <jwatson(--nospam--at)> writes:
How many of you call yourself an "Architectural Engineer"?  Can you fully design all the systems in a home or commercail building?  Could you put together & adequately answer questions related to: electrical, mechanical, structural, & architectural?  There are engineers here in Utah doing full home design.  They are licensed with a "Civil Engineer" license.  I know I am not qualified to do all the other systems and I am curious how many people in the world might be that diverse.
Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT