From: Suresh Acharya, PE, SE [mailto:struct(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 10:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Architectural Engineers

Talking about California, there no such title such as "Architectural
Engineer".
Design autority is defined by the Board and is available at:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/pels/pubs/building_design_auth.pdf

which says,
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS may design any building of any type.
CIVIL ENGINEERS may design any building of any type EXCEPT public schools
and hospitals.
ARCHITECTS may design any building of any type EXCEPT the structural portion
of a hospital.

Bottom line is that the Board treats engineers and architects equally for
all practical purposes. [Board does not appreciate 4, 6 or more years of
engineering schooling by engineers. As far as I remember engineering degree
is not required to get a P.E.license. What is our professional organizations
such as SEAOC doing??].

Talking about the abuse of authority, Dennis once mentioned some architects
stamping truss calculations done in Mexico. Besides, in the rural areas it
is the architects who prepares all the plans and calculations. Calculation
may be just 1/2 a page for a 2-story building, or without any calculations
citing conventional construction), and will be approved by the building
division.

As far as I remember other regulations does allow architect or engineers to
seal electrical & mechanical drawings also.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.
Richmond, CA

From: "Jake Watson" <jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com>