Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Architectural Engineers

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
On 1 Dec 2004, at 18:39, Suresh Acharya, PE, SE wrote:

> Talking about California, there no such title such as "Architectural Engineer". 
> Design autority is defined by the Board and is available at:
> which says,
> STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS may design any building of any type.
> CIVIL ENGINEERS may design any building of any type EXCEPT public schools and hospitals.
> ARCHITECTS may design any building of any type EXCEPT the structural portion of a hospital.
> Bottom line is that the Board treats engineers and architects equally for all practical purposes.
> [Board does not appreciate 4, 6 or more years of engineering schooling by engineers. As far as I
> remember engineering degree is not required to get a P.E.license. What is our professional
> organizations such as SEAOC doing??]. 
> Talking about the abuse of authority, Dennis once mentioned some architects stamping truss
> calculations done in Mexico. Besides, in the rural areas it is the architects who prepares all the
> plans and calculations. Calculation may be just 1/2 a page for a 2-story building, or without any
> calculations citing conventional construction), and will be approved by the building division.
> As far as I remember other regulations does allow architect or engineers to seal electrical &
> mechanical drawings also.
> Suresh Acharya, S.E.
> Richmond, CA

The situation in California is even more frustrating.  DSA requires a G.E.
to stamp the geotechnical reports for schools.  A standard PE can't do
this.  Often part of a geotechnical report, in our neck of the woods, recommends
a foundation system for the buildings and may give some sizes based
upon the bearing capacity of the soils on site.  An SE can design the
foundations as can an Architect.  A standard PE can't.  An Architect
can also stamp the soils report if they want, while a PE can't.  In the
firm that I was working, right out of school, we got called in to work on
a school project.  We did the soil testing, but couldn't write the report, as
we were not GEs.  (The older engineer in the firm didn't grandfather in 
when he had the chance and hadn't taken the GE exam at the time
of the school work)

I found the disparity between what an Architect could stamp and what
a PE could stamp to be frustrating.  I often wondered how much
education most Architects get in relation to soils and foundation systems.
Are they typically qualified to stamp this work?  I assume that there
is a code of ethics for Architects that is similar to the Engineer's
code of ethics that would require them to not practice outside their
area of expertise, but I'm not sure.

Take Care,
Lloyd Pack

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********