RE: Colorado PE... Continuing Education

The list posted by Matthew is consistant with the few states that I am
licensed in.  Michgian does not require it...yet...there are starting to
think about it.  State of Washington PE does not require it, and
according to the lastest PE Board newsletter, they don't plan on
requiring it anytime soon...the Board apparently has the position based
upon majority belief that "...such programs add administrative costs and
do little to improve the quality of practice by licensees."  Only my
Illinois SE license at this point requires CE.

Personally, I would say that I agree with the position that the Washington
PE Board appears to take.  I don't believe that CE requirements really do
all that much other than add cost to maintaining a license.  Don't get me
wrong...I strongly believe in continuing to learn.  I just think that the
programs put in place don't really do much.  The way most programs are
setup it is rather easy to meet the requirements without really learning
anything valuable...it is just a matter of spending some money.  And most
programs don't have a way to account for some good ways of continuing to
learn such as just reading a textbook or technical paper (which makes
sense because it becomes rather difficult for someone to "prove" that they
really did do such things such as read that textbook or paper if they are
auditted).  In the end, CE is good idea, but is typically poorly executed.
But, while I may not believe in such systems, I have little problem with
them as I would be taking seminars and doing other things that meet CE
requirements with or without the requirements.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI