From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 2:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Colorado PE... Continuing Education

The list posted by Matthew is consistant with the few states that I am
licensed in.  Michgian does not require it...yet...there are starting to
think about it.  State of Washington PE does not require it, and
according to the lastest PE Board newsletter, they don't plan on
requiring it anytime soon...the Board apparently has the position based
upon majority belief that "...such programs add administrative costs and
do little to improve the quality of practice by licensees."  Only my
Illinois SE license at this point requires CE.

Personally, I would say that I agree with the position that the Washington
PE Board appears to take.  I don't believe that CE requirements really do
all that much other than add cost to maintaining a license.  Don't get me
wrong...I strongly believe in continuing to learn.  I just think that the
programs put in place don't really do much.  The way most programs are
setup it is rather easy to meet the requirements without really learning
anything valuable...it is just a matter of spending some money.  And most
programs don't have a way to account for some good ways of continuing to
learn such as just reading a textbook or technical paper (which makes
sense because it becomes rather difficult for someone to "prove" that they
really did do such things such as read that textbook or paper if they are
auditted).  In the end, CE is good idea, but is typically poorly executed.
But, while I may not believe in such systems, I have little problem with
them as I would be taking seminars and doing other things that meet CE
requirements with or without the requirements.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Stuart, Matthew wrote:

> D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E.
> Structural Department
> SCHOOR DEPALMA
> 200 State Highway Nine
> Manalapan, NJ 07726-0900
> Phone: (732) 577-9000 (Ext. 1283)
> FAX: (732) 431-9428
> Cell: (908) 309-8657
> Email: mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com
> Website: www.schoordepalma.com
>

> PDH Requirements for PE & LS in Various US Jurisdictions
> State [NL](Note 1)	Renewal Cycle	PDH's Required	Renewal Deadline (Special
Requirements)
> Alabama	Annual	15 	December 31
> Arkansas	Annual	15	December 31
> Delaware	Biennial	24 for LS only	June 30, Odd Year
> Florida	Biennial	8   for PE[PARA]24 for LS	February 28, Odd Year (For PE:
4 PDH's must be on Florida Board Law and Rules; For LS: 6 PDH's must be on
Minimum Technical Standards (MTS) or laws affecting the practice of
surveying and mapping)
> Georgia	Biennial	30	December 31, Even Year
> Idaho	Biennial	30 for LS only	Varies
> Illinois	Biennial	30 for PE[PARA]20 for LS	November 30, Even Year
(Starting 2004)
> Iowa	Biennial 	30	December 31, Odd or Even Year
> Kansas	Biennial	30	Based on the first letter of last name: A-L by April
30, Even Year; M-Z by April 30, Odd Year
> Kentucky	Biennial	16 for LS only	June 30, Odd Year
> Louisiana	Biennial	30 	Varies (1 PDH must be in ethics and, 8 PDH's must
be in life safety or building code for PE's in building design &
construction)
> Maryland	Biennial	24 for LS only	Varies
> Minnesota	Biennial	24 	June 30, Even Year
> Mississippi	Annual	15 	December 31
> Missouri	Biennial	30 for PE[PARA]30 for LS	PE: December 31, Even or Odd
Year (Starting 2004)[PARA]LS: December 31, Even or Odd Year
> Montana	Biennial	30 	June 30, Even Year
> Nebraska	Biennial	30 	Based on the first letter of last name: A-K by
December 31, Odd Year; L-Z December 31, Even Year (Starting 2004)
> Nevada	Biennial	30 	Based on the first letter of last name: A-E by
December 31, Even Year; F-K June 30, Odd Year; L-R December 31, Odd Year and
S-Z June 30, Even Year.
> New Hampshire	Biennial	30 	Varies
> New Jersey	Biennial	8 for LS only	April 30, Even Year
> New Mexico	Biennial	30 	December 31, Odd Year for odd number licenses and
December 31, Even Year for even number licenses.
> New York	Triennial	36 for PE[PARA]24 for LS	Varies (Starting 2005)
> North Carolina	Annual	15 	December 31
> Oklahoma	Biennial	30 	Varies (Starting July 1, 2004)
> Oregon	Biennial	30 	Based on the first letter of last name: A-F December
31, Odd Year; G-K June 30, Odd Year; L-R December 31, Even Year; S-Z June
30, Even Year.
> South Carolina	Biennial	30 	June 30, Even Year
> South Dakota	Biennial	30 	Varies (At least 20 PDH's must be in technical
subjects which directly safeguard the public's health, safety and welfare)
> Tennessee	Biennial	24	Varies
> Texas	Annual	8 for LS only	December 31
> West Virginia	Annual	15 	June 30
> Wyoming	Biennial	30	December 31, Even or Odd Year
> Note 1: This summary table is for information only. States not listed may
have introduced continuing education requirements for professional engineers
and land surveyors since the data in this table were compiled. Please check
with your state board of registration for the latest information.