From: David Merrick [mailto:MRKGP(--nospam--at)winfirst.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 3:41 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Condos. Charging for the extra E&O insurance costs.

I am considering the cost of insurance increases to perform a condo design. I found costs exceeding my design fees by at least 200%. I have made some assumptions that I would like to have comments on. What is the usual increase of insurance cost for one project???

Extra insurance payments from one project will be for about 10 years. I wonder if litigation is more likely to occur as time nears to the 10 year mark.. ????

Insurance increase estimates needs include the time that the designer will  spends in settlement conferences, depositions and possible trial. Maybe another 30% of the time it took to design it????

Go see the information at…

http://www.structuralist.net/wp_professional/index.php?cat=2

www.structuralist.net  is by Dennis Wish

I encourage our profession to take on condo and apartment designs. There is a need for the housing. Make sure that the client understands that the larger fees are to pay extra for E&O insurance. Understand that the increased E&O fees are reasonable, because most condos are going into litigation regardless of the quality of your design.

Developers now must get an over-all coverage that might also include the Structural Engineer.

Go see structuralist.net.

David Merrick

Structural Engineer of California