Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: camber for two way slabs

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Bill et. al.:


We use camber often in two way flat plate construction in high rise buildings that may have only

One or two large bays (for whatever architectural reason) and rather than thickening the entire

deck to offset the larger spans that occur in only one or two areas, we have the concrete sub

locally camber the midbay/soffit of the formwork to counter the elastic deflection plus any

significant creep effects, if applicable.







David L. Fisher SE PE

Fisher + partners

372 West Ontario

Chicago 60610



312.573.1726 fax


312.622.0409 mobile

From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 4:53 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: camber for two way slabs


David Handy wrote:

Just trying a second time with this one...


Does anybody have any references for the required / recommended camber for a two way slab. I have seen it done on drawings and I assume that it is calculated with a (DL + 20%LL+/-) value and then multiplied by the estimated long term factors given in the code...or a similar approach. I have looked through all of my references and I can't see any sign of it??




I'm curious: What sort of two-way slab has "camber?"

Do you mean a PT slab? Or is this something that is done with the formwork for a conventionally reinforced slab?

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********