From: Wesley Werner [mailto:wwerner(--nospam--at)conewago.com]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 8:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Bentley View

Jason,

    I have never used PowerDraft. However, I have some limited experience with Bentley Redline and even more limited experience with MicroStation. As far as supporting .dwg and .dgn files, these programs are excellent. The one drafter in our office that does use MicroStation a lot was very impressed by how well it handles both formats. For awhile, we had to use Bentley Redline to open AutoCAD 2004 drawings because we were using an older version of AutoCAD, and Redline preformed well.
    I would add one caution about Bentley products. They are quite different then AutoCAD. If you decide to buy PowerDraft I would strongly recommend that you take some training on how to use the program. Some of Microstation's features are very powerful, but they tend to be complex and not always as easy to use as AutoCAD. If you are familiar with AutoCAD, you will have to unlearn some habits and learn new ones. The drafter in our office that uses Microstation had used AutoCAD for years before he started using Microstation V8. He had a hard time learning it before we went to a class that demonstrated some of the techniques. He would tell you that AutoCAD is much simpler to use.

Wesley C. Werner