Re: Nail Spacing

Title: Message

No, at this point, timber rivet design is based on an empirical approach. At some point in the future, we'll be looking at them based on the yield theory on which other dowel-type fasteners are based.

Here's a link to the Addendum for the 1997 NDS Commentary which gives more background on the timber rivet provisions (see Chapter 13):

http://www.awc.org/pdf/NDSCommentaryCompressed/ndscommentary91addendum.pdf

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.