Gypsum ceiling as structural diaphragm

Title: Gypsum ceiling as structural diaphragm

AF&PA's Wood Frame Construction Manual (WFCM) for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2001 Edition outlines a procedure for calculating diaphragm capacity to brace gable endwalls against wind loads. The tabulated gypsum diaphragm capacity is 70plf, with a note that it can be increased to 90 plf when ceiling framing members are spaced 16" o.c., per ICBO Report No. 1874-89.

Table 3.15 of the WFCM actually tabulates minimum attic floor/ceiling lengths for various wind loads and building geometries. WFCM Table 2.6 outlines lateral diaphragm loads that are used in Table 3.15. The WFCM Commentary provides background calculations for all these tabulated values.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media