From: S. Gordin [mailto:mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 11:21 AM
To: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: existing bridge

The past weekend I was in New Jersey.  On my way back to JFK, I noticed that paint on the towers of the magnificent Verrazano Narrows Bridge is peeling, exposing the corroding metal.  AFAIK, the renovation of the bridge was supposed to be completed in 2003. Yet isn't this bridge - like, apparently, the Golden Gate Bridge - supposed to be in the permanent state of re-painting?

Further east (at 4 pm on Sunday), Belt Parkway looked more like a parking lot, so I had a chance to take a closer look at the underbelly of several vehicular steel overpasses.  On one of those, I saw a vertical member (may be, 1" thick) of the bridge bearing being rusted through with a hole, may be, 6" in diameter, apparently, going all the way to - and, may be, into - the bearing plate.

My question to the NYC colleagues is - how are these problems being addressed?

V. Steve Gordin, PhD
Registered Structural Engineer
Irvine CA