Re: existing bridge

David Maynard wrote:

It's my understanding that ALL bridges fall under D.O.T. jurisdiction and should have some sort of inspection procedure for them. This may be an oversight. Should someone point this situation out???

Here in Texas, it depends on the location, and the budget. Typically the state DOT has oversight, but often "cedes" inspection and maintenance authority to the counties for "non-primary" bridges.

We have such a nightmare in re decaying bridge infrastructure down here anyway, and I'm not sure anyone wants to tackle it. "Non-Primary" bridges are treated like "hot potatoes".

I realize this has nothing to do with a "signature bridge" like the VNB, but I'm addressing your "blanket" statement insofar as one state's experience is concerned.