RE: existing bridge

New York City and New York State DOT's, in addition to the Authorities
(Port Authority and the MTA), have Biennial inspections for most if not all
of their structures, so they generally have a pretty good idea about the
bridges' condition. I would say they do a pretty good job of maintaining
the bridges within the budget they have, but the problem is the anaemic
maintenance budgets. In an era of both state and city budget cutbacks,
maintenance is often one of the first things that gets axed. For some
reason it is often easier for them to get money for capital works, so a lot
of these kinds of problems get fixed when they come back to put a new lane
on, or increase the load carrying capacity to HS-25.

Michael Ludvik, PE
New York

             "David Maynard"
             <davemaynard@cein
             corp.com>                                                  To
                                       <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
             12/06/2004 01:44                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: existing bridge
             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

It's my understanding that ALL bridges fall under D.O.T. jurisdiction and
should have some sort of inspection procedure for them.  This may be an
oversight.  Should someone point this situation out???

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming