RE: existing bridge

Probably not an oversight...more than likely lack of money (or priority to
shift the money to repairing bridges) to do the job.

This problem exists BIG time in Michigan (where we use salt...boy do we
use salt...of course, it helps that we have salt mines under the City of
Detroit area).  There are lots of bridges that are "lacking" in maintance.
Bridge maintance was largely put on the back burner for a LONG time in the
recent past...by BOTH political parties.  There has been more of an effort
in the recent years (kind of helps get money for bridge projects when
chucks on concrete fall on the highways and cars).  But there is still a
long way to go here.

Some of this is tied to the transporation spending bill that has been tied
up in Congress this year.  There were three different versions with three
different amounts...the House one, the Senate one, and the amount that the
President would agree to...both the House version and Senate version were
higher than what Bush wanted so the treatened veto by Bush caused it to
die with only an extension of current funding going through for now.  So,
it will likely be revisited with the new Congress...much to the chagrin of
many DOTs and construction businesses that wanted it done to help spur
construction (and likely create jobs).  Two of the issues holding things
up some where equity of distribution of the federal money (i.e. minimizing
"donor states"...those states that pay more in federal gas taxes than they
get back in federal transporation funds) and local "pet projects" (i.e.
pork) that only LOOSELY had anything to do with transporation.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI