RE: Clients and Permits

Why guess and potentially put yourself in jeopardy? Call the State Board and ask them what your professional responsibilities are with respect to the Owner/Contractor potentially not obtaining a Building Permit.

Jim K.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:41 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Clients and Permits

Since you've been retained to provide construction period work, I think you are obligated to ensure that the client follows the building code - i.e. obtains a permit.  This is especially true since you know the situation.

I think your options are to a) require a building permit or b) rescind the offer of construction period services, claiming non-compliance of the client with applicable law (you do have a for-cause clause in your contract, right?)

I agree that you are in a sticky situation.

Jordan