Re: Clients and Permits

James et. al.,

I have already sent an inquiry to the State Board of Professional Engineers
and am awaiting a reply which I will forward to this listserve if it is
appropriate. But I am also still very interested in your opinions.

This is an issue which arises too frequently for small projects. An engineer
is hired, does the preliminary site work and design and is then not called
again until the job is completed. It is only at that time, or, when a
question arises during construction, that the question of a permit will
arise. Homeowners will often have the contractor "waiting in the wings" for
the design to arrive and then bulldoze ahead.

I recently completed such a project, but the contractor and I prevailed on
the owner to make all the necessary submissions, which involved delays due
to requested design changes.

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
http://expertpages.com/jccpc