Re: Clients and Permits

From: "James Cohen" <jccpc(--nospam--at)msn.com>
> Clarification: "construction period services" is limited to a final inspection
> that the construction complies with the design, to the extent the construction
> is visible. This was not part of the original scope but is a later request.
>
> James Cohen, PE
> James Cohen Consulting, PC
> http://expertpages.com/jccpc

James,
Who is going to pull the premit? If the permit will be in owner's name, then it could be troublesome. The owner may cut corners and at final ask you to write a letter to the building department certifying that the work was done according to the plans and building code. The word "inspection" which is more strigent should have been replaced with "observation". I doubt a regular home owner can afford to hire an engieer for continuous inspections. If you are offering inspections, then you are taking a bigger responsibility.

For single family residences, normally observation by engineer is not required, let alone continuous inspection by engineer - check your code. Licensed contractor is trusted to provide the minimum quality of work, and supposed to know the minor details and typical nailing schedule. If the owner wanted to revise the contract to cover inspection, it may be to save his butt.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.
Richmond, CA