	From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 8:51 AM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Subject: IBC 1603.3 Live loads posted

	IBC 160.3 states "Where the live loads for which each floor or
portion thereof of a commercial or industrial building is or has been
designed to exceed 50 psf, such design live loads shall be conspicuously
posted by the owner in that part of each story in which they apply,
using durable signs.  It shall be unlawful to remove or deface such
notices."

	Is this ever done?  What about any corridor or stair designed
for 100psf -should they all be posted as such?  Maybe the Exit sign over
the emergency exit stair should say Exit - 100psf.

	And where are the load posting police?  "Unlawful"?  Can local
authorities arrest a building owner for committing a crime if this isn't
done?

	Wouldn't it be more important to post a low rating in an area
where it would be expected to be high?  Such as an elevated platform
designed for 40 psf with forktrucks driving around on it?  After all,
bridge structures are only posted when they have limitations, not when
they are up to code.

	Just curious...

	Jim Wilson, PE
	Stroudsburg, PA