Re: Design for Liquifaction (or mitigation thereof)

Bill:

Was the Geotech locate to the desert area ?
If not I would consult with one of the local Geotech in this area.

You may want to talk with Greg McCombs S.E. at Riverside County Building Dept. in Indio
he may be reviewing your project. Or it may be Kack Sung P.E. in Riverside.

As Dave stated, back when I was doing soils work we use to recommend grade beam grids of 8 - 10' oc both ways and total loss of support within any given grid. From my experience most Geotech have a poor understanding of structures.

From what I understand in this country we don't have any bodies(bldgs) to judge by.
Most of the bodies we have are usually related to broken water lines beneath structures and you find out when you see water or settlement. But that occurs over time days - weeks-months not a 2 min. earthquake.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA