RE: Design for Liquifaction (or mitigation thereof)

Joe –

Yes, he is (located in the desert). It’s LandMark. We worked together on a similar project in Mecca, but that condition was a UBC 1815 foundation.

Now he’s suggesting to over-ex 10 feet to reduce displacements. The liquefaction zone is between 8 and 20 feet. He is saying if we over-ex 10 feet, the settlement would reduce to 2-1/2”; if we over-ex 13 feet, the settlement would be 2”; if we over-ex 15 feet the settlement would be 1-1/2”. Of course, since ground water may be as high as 8-1/2 feet, dewatering may be required. He seems to prefer this over stone columns (which he calls an “exotic” solution). It seems to me that over-excavating this much, dewatering and recompacting might be more expensive than piles or stone columns.

In any case, I told him that I would need design values for the foundation (GBs to span “X” w/o support and/or reduced allowable soil bearing pressure, etc.). He’s working on those values now.

Somewhat related, I asked him if I would have to design the slab for a hydrostatic pressure if the footings were not pile supported or if I had to design the slab to span between grade beams if the slab was pile supported during an E/Q event. He said “yes”, so I asked him to also provide a design hydrostatic pressure. Of course, if this were a mat foundation, this issue would be insignificant.

Joe, did/do you design your slabs as structural slabs spanning between grade beams?

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588