Re: Tank

By signing the drawing, I would be concerned about the position I would be putting myself in regarding current Code, for instance required sesimic forces on the tank.

When you say the numbers do not come close to working, I would be careful to state on the drawing you sign for what case the tank does work for and you are taking responsibility for, and the case where it does not work (ie. not containing liquid) which you are not taking responsibility for. If the numbers don't work either way, then I wouldn't sign anything regardless of past performance.

Will

I was recently asked to review a tank for a precaster in order to prove that the tank is sufficient to support the earth and liquid fill prior to him signing off on the building. This particular tank has been used since 1947 and not a one has had any problems. Looking at this tank, which has a 3? wall and minimum WWF, the numbers will not come close to proving it works, yet they never have has problems.

Question #1: Would any of you seal a drawing based on past preformance of the product alone?

Question #2: This tank will be filled with water, equalizing the pressures and reducing the moments to near zero, is this cast more realistic to analyze?

Thanks for you help,

Chad Van Kampen P.E.

General Manager / Precast

Gerace Construction