Fw: Clients and Building Permits

Further to an earlier question I posted to the list, I on an engineer's responsibility with respect to ensuring that an owner obtain building permits, I did contact the Pennsylvania State Board for Professional Engineers. A reply was received today. I have been referred by them to the Law (Act 367) and its Rules & Regulations (located at www.dos.state.pa.us/eng). I was also advised that the licensing Board is not authorized to issue advisory opinions as directed by their counsel.

Unfortunately, I am unable to copy the message received as there was a confidentiality statement attached.

My intention, as I am carrying out only one final inspection (based upon visual examination only) is to provide a certified letter to the client with the results of the inspection and to notify the client in writing that they are responsible for permits which should have already been done. I have not been definitively informed by the client or builder if permits have or have/not been or will be applied for and, at this time, I do not intend to pursue this further with the client or builder. Drawings were supplied to them in triplicate which were signed and sealed by myself for the purpose of submission.

Many thanks to all who responded.

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
http://expertpages.com/jccpc