SIP Panels

Scott,

The vapor retarder is always on the inside.  I believe the key is to
have a good vapor retarder on the inside and a proper ventilation system
to remove moisture from the building.  On our foam panel housing, we
always use an HRV Ventilation unit which helps control interior moisture
levels.  SIP homes are much tighter than standard construction and
require ventilation for the occupants. Passive ventilation does not
work.

We are on the same page here.  The key is to have enough construction
supervision to ensure that the panel joints have sealant installed as
recommended by the manufacturer and a proper vapor retarder.  In the
case of very wet climates like Juneau, tyvek, furring strips, then
siding is the best approach to allow the exterior wall to breath.  We
have used similar systems on conventional construction along the
Aleutian chain where exposed to an extremely wet and windy climate.

Jared F. Keyser, P.E.
LCMF LLC
139 E. 51st Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99503