From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: The failings of (engineering) organizations

Christopher Wright wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2004, at 1:16 PM, Bill Polhemus wrote:
>
>> I suggest you go and live for some time in Great Britain where
>> vestiges of a REAL "class system" exist.
>
> Tell us honestly, Bill, have you ever been to Britain or any place
> else in Europe? Have you ever listened to the BBC or read a British
> newspaper?

Why don't you ask me if I have friends who are British, who were
well-educated engineers or other professionals, but who came from "the
wrong side of the tracks"--and emigrated to the U.S., the land of the
free and home of equal opportunity?

Why don't you ask me if those friends are now loyal Americans who
continue to marvel at the breath of freedom here in this land compared
to their native country? Ask me if they have expressed to me in most
impressive terms that they are glad to be living in a place where "who
you are" doesn't matter nearly as much as your capabilities and your
motivation to succeed?

Why don't you ask me if I had a friend a few years ago, a project
engineer originally from Lancashire, who spoke in grateful terms about
how much better his life was here, where the onerous class-consciousness

of his country of origin was nowhere to be found?

Those questions will be more pertinent. Unless you want to ask me WHY I
may not have ever lived and worked in Great Britain. To which my
response would be "why should I? I love America, and I am more inclined
to see her wonderful, positive traits than to spend time searching for
any warts I might find."

I know that you "Blue State" people have a difficult time with this
concept, but you need face up to it: The majority of us--those in the
"Red States"--love this nation and think she is superior to all others,
BECAUSE of the freedom and liberty she provides.

And just think: We even defend her liberty to the extent that people
like you can sit around and grouse about things to your heart's content.

What a country!