Re: Overhead Costs

----Original Message Follows----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:41:27 EST

In a message dated 12/11/04 9:52:45 AM, r_pixley(--nospam--at)msn.com writes:

The disagreement is what is the "real cost", which in the long run is what
it will cost to have someone else do the work.  (Does the word "competition" ring a bell?) And if that someone else doesn't have to pay for "junkets" to
ACI conventions (their attitude, not yours) or other such perks, they will
be able to ask for a lesser price to do the work.

"Real cost" is ann interesting concept.   Does the "real cost" of slavery
include today's gang wars and drug trade? In other words, are we still paying
the "real cost" of cheap cotton centuries ago?

Somehow I knew someone would bring this up. But slaves don't reflect "real cost" in that slaves don't have the right to openly walk away from the work without retribution from the employer or the government. Neither do gang members, though in the latter's case the retribution comes mostly from the "employer". (I concede that government help in that situation is mostly unreliable, which could mean the government also imposes their own form of retribution.)

As to your cheap shot on whether we are still paying for "cheap" (pre-U.S. Civil War slave generated) cotton, I'd say yes, but not monetarily. The payment is the class wars, bigotry, jealousy, etc. that resulted from this policy, even if such behavior is outlawed. Concerning cheap cotton in the U.S., the cost was a lot of young lives (Civil War deaths). Unfortunately, many generations will continue to suffer by these means before such a debt can be "paid", if it can be "paid".

At this point, this thread has probably gone too far from the issues the list is intended to address. My apologies for those on the list for this indiscretion.